The Philippines will gain heavy military helicopters from the US, President Ferdinand Marcos Jr said Thursday, in the wake of rejecting an arrangement to purchase comparative aircraft from Russia.
The public authority of his predecessor Rodrigo Duterte had marked an arrangement worth $216 million for 16 Mi-17 helicopters, yet pulled out soon after Russia’s intrusion of Ukraine and the burden of far-reaching sanctions on Moscow.
Prior Thursday, nearby media had cited the Russian envoy to the Philippines as saying that arrangement was as yet substantial.
Be that as it may, Marcos said it was dead.
“We have secured an alternative supply (for heavy-lift helicopters) from the United States,” Marcos
“Unfortunately, we made a down payment (to the Russian company) that we are hoping to negotiate to get at least a percentage of that back,”
“But the deal as it stood maybe at the beginning of or in the middle of last year has already been cancelled.”
Russian representative Marat Pavlov, be that as it may, was cited in their media as saying the producer was all the while continuing with the gathering of the Mi-17s.
Russia believes the Philippine government should respect a marked agreement that the organization of previous President Rodrigo Duterte had dropped because of fears of potential US sanctions.
Moscow’s representative to Manila, Marat Pavlov, told correspondents on Wednesday night that the Philippine government has not formally informed Russia of its choice to drop the arrangement and a Russian organization was continuing to fabricate the Mi-17 helicopters after the Philippines made an underlying instalment.
Filipino pilots, who might work the helicopters, have gone through Russian preparation, he said.
Login or become a member to see the full article